Introduction to Electrical Power Generation
Acquire the necessary skills to get your foot in the door.
This is the first of 10 modules within a six week EPG Entry Level Training Track. This is a fully shop / power lab immersed class.
No matter the technician background, we are going to start from the beginning to establish a solid foundation within Emergency Power Generation. This week introduces Safety, the basics and fundamentals of Power Generation, theories of operation, the role of a Generator Technician, the importance of Planned Maintenance, Safety and Proper Use of Tools.
This course is structured so that no matter who you are, and what your prior work experience is, you can acquire the necessary skills to get your foot in the door.
This is a 32-hour, 4.5-day course taught in English
Limited to 10 students
The course starts with a half day Monday (1:00pm – 5:00pm), full days Wednesday – Thursday (8:00am – 5:00pm) and another half day Friday (8:00am – 12:00pm).
Students are allotted 1-hour lunch break Tuesday – Thursday.
At the completion of this class, students should be able to:
- Understand basic electrical power generation fundamentals & theory.
- Identify common tools of the trade and show proficiency in using them.
- Identify standby and prime power generation systems and their individual components.
- Identify different fuel types and their individual advantages and disadvantages.
- Identify and understand industry specific safety practices and how to implement them.
- Complete necessary paperwork required by most EPG company offices.
- Verify a generator is operationally ready and start it from the control station.
Student Minimum Qualifications to Attend
This class is part of our “6 week entry level / beginner track program” and is intended for students who are new to the industry with very limited experience. This is designed to get your feet off the ground and safely start servicing this equipment. This is a 100% entry level course specifically catered towards students new to the industry. Whether you’re transitioning from another blue collar trade, or a field completely different where you maybe have never used tools before in your life this course is your entry into the Electrical Power Generation (EPG) industry.
- Show up with a positive attitude and open mind.
- Be willing to learn.
- Be willing to step out of your comfort zone.
Minimum Required Equipment & Safety Gear
- Steel toe or composite toe, electrical rated work boots.
- ANSI Z87.1 approved safety glasses.
- ANSI approved cut resistant gloves.
- Appropriate work attire for a shop environment
- Appropriate hearing protection for operation of generators indoors.
- Notebook and pen / pencil or laptop for notetaking. (Laptops are preferred, however if you do not have one yet, we can provide suggestions.)
Call for Details: Discounted Rate available if student registers for all 10 modules / 6 week beginner program, 603-363-4842.
All registration fees are to be paid in full prior to the first day of class.
Please send checks payable to Mongoose Power Solutions c/o OPA! to PO Box 13, Spofford, NH 03462
Travel and Accommodations
Hotel Reservations are not included with registration and are the responsibility of the attendee/employer to arrange.
Click here for our hotel and travel recommendations.