Generator Controls 101
The focus on this class will be controller identification and basic operation. There are hundreds of different style generator control systems used across the U.S, and being able to identify what controller is in use will ensure access to proper manuals and correct diagnostics. This also ensures an entry level tech can identify a control system when calling another technician for help. Please note that this is an entry level class – We will not be discussing controller retrofits / upgrades during this class.
This is a 2-day, 16-hour course
Taught in English
Limited to 10 students
Choose a class below
- Identify a wide variety of the most commonly used genset controllers in the U.S. and some used overseas.
- Understand basic operational theory.
- Differentiate older mechanical control systems VS newer PLC and fully electronic controls.
- Cover the control system responsibilities required for home standby and NFPA110 commercial / industrial machines.
Student Minimum Qualifications to Attend
This class is part of our “6 week entry level / beginner / apprentice program” and is intended for students that are new to the industry with very limited experience. This is designed to get your feet off the ground and safely start servicing this equipment.
- Basic understanding of how to use a digital multi-meter (DVOM)
- Basic generator understanding (operation, start / stop, residential VS commercial etc.)
- Basic understanding of engine operation
- Basic understanding of generator alternator operation.
Minimum Required Equipment & Safety Gear
- Steel toe or composite toe, electrical rated work boots
- ANSI Z87.1 approved safety glasses
- ANSI approved cut resistant gloves
- Appropriate work attire for a shop environment
- Appropriate hearing protection for operation of generators indoors
- Notebook and pen / pencil or laptop for notetaking (Laptops are preferred)
Call for Details: Discounted Rate available if student registers for all 10 modules / 6 week beginner program, 603-363-4842.
All registration fees are to be paid in full prior to the first day of class.
Please send checks payable to Mongoose Power Solutions c/o OPA! to PO Box 13, Spofford, NH 03462
Travel and Accommodations
Hotel Reservations are not included with registration and are the responsibility of the attendee/employer to arrange.
Click here for our hotel and travel recommendations.