Generator Alternators 101
This is a mostly in lab experience with live hands-on equipment in order to give students real world experience in an environment they can practice. This will be catered towards inexperienced / entry level students who have no alternator experience at all.
This will be specific to machines rated for less than 600 volts AC (low voltage). This course is also not brand specific – students will be working on Kohler, Cummins, Generac, Olympian, etc. The goal here will be to bring entry level techs up to speed when it comes to working around various size generators safely, and methodically. We’ll focus on identifying the different designs and components, and how the voltage regulation system interacts with the generator.
They are 16-hour course spanning over two days, with 8-hours per day.
This class is taught in English and is limited to 10 students.
After completion of this class, students will be able to:
- Understand the basics of electrical power generation.
- Understand basic electrical calculations used with gensets.
- Identify operational defects in generators and be able to perform basic troubleshooting.
- Monitor field voltage to identify potential problems.
- Monitor electrical systems using building load or load banks.
Student Minimum Qualifications to Attend
- Basic understanding of how to use a digital multi-meter (DVOM)
- Moderate understanding of genset operation including starting / stopping, automatic operation.
- Basic understanding of electrical schematics.
- Basic understanding of electrical calculations.
- Basic understanding of how to use a computer.
Minimum Required Equipment & Safety Gear
- Steel toe or composite toe, electrical rated work boots.
- ANSI approved safety glasses.
- ANSI approved cut resistant gloves
- Appropriate work attire for a shop environment
- Appropriate hearing protection for operation of generators indoors.
- Notebook and pen / pencil or laptop for notetaking. (Laptops are preferred)
$960 per student (a la carte)
Call for Details: Discounted Rate available if student registers for all 10 modules / 6 week beginner program, 603-363-4842.
All registration fees are to be paid in full prior to the first day of class.
Please send checks payable to Mongoose Power Solutions c/o OPA! to PO Box 13, Spofford, NH 03462
Travel and Accommodations
Hotel Reservations are not included with registration and are the responsibility of the attendee/employer to arrange.
Click here for our hotel and travel recommendations.