Air Cooled Generators 101
Students will disassemble and re-assemble various brand air-cooled generators piece by piece, how to test them, and how they fit in the operation of the whole machine. Upon the re-assembly of each machine, the student must be able to prove that the generator is functioning to 100% of its ability via load bank. Once better familiarized with different machines, the students will be given a variety of bugged machines with common “real world” problems they will encounter in the field.
Choose a class below
- This is a 24-hour, 3-Day, 8-hour per day course taught in English.
- Limited to 10 students.
- Although classroom will be used, this is primarily a live hands-on experience in the lab.
At the completion of this class, students should be able to:
- Familiarize service techs with the different equipment they will be working on in the field.
- Understanding of how a variety or air-cooled generator sets work and is assembled.
- Build a strong foundation to both quality service and troubleshooting a machine right the first time.
- Understanding the value of performing a proper PM service helps both the company and customer.
Student Minimum Qualifications to Attend
This class is part of our “6 week entry level / beginner / apprentice program” and is intended for students that are new to the industry with very limited experience. This is designed to get your feet off the ground and safely start servicing this equipment.
- Complete assembly and disassembly of several different brand residential generators.
- Performing a basic visual inspection and test of the integrity of each component.
- Performing an electrical test of the electrical components.
- Wiring up the generator set one wire at a time, talking through its purpose.
- Set up/program the generator controller from scratch.
- Perform full operational testing following generator build.
- Perform a complete inspection on the generator that we just built.
Minimum Required Equipment & Safety Gear
- Steel toe or composite toe, electrical rated work boots
- ANSI Z87.1 approved safety glasses
- ANSI approved cut resistant gloves
- Appropriate work attire for a shop environment
- Tool Bag with basic hand tools
- Appropriate hearing protection for operation of generators indoors
- Notebook and pen / pencil or laptop for notetaking (laptops are preferred)
- A voltmeter (min of AC/DC volts, Hertz, Ohms)
Call for Details: Discounted Rate available if student registers for all 10 modules / 6 week beginner program, 603-363-4842.
All registration fees are to be paid in full prior to the first day of class.
Please send checks payable to Mongoose Power Solutions c/o OPA! to PO Box 13, Spofford, NH 03462
Travel and Accommodations
Hotel Reservations are not included with registration and are the responsibility of the attendee/employer to arrange.
Click here for our hotel and travel recommendations.